Low Oxygen Brewing

Gestart door Swedishbrewer, 27-02-2020 13:26 u

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

Swedishbrewer

In the past, I have not really bothered to keep the oxygen levels down during the mashing process.
Of course, I have not kept on splashing unnecessarily. But it has not been more advanced than that.
Now I have realized that there may be a point in removing oxygen levels in the water before mashing.
As I see, there are two ways that are easy to do without adding additives such as sulfite.

1. Boil the water 5-10 minutes and then cool it to mashtemperature.
2. Add yeast and sugar a couple of hour before mashing.

Reducing oxygen in the mash is very common in Germany.
A. But what about Belgian styles?
B. Can some styles like blonde and saison profit from it, but not dark styles like dubbel or dark strong ale?
C. How do you do yourself and what method is preferred?
D. Is it worth the job?

wernerthefox

Interesting thought. Boiling would be a way to reduce oxygen. But I wonder are you going to aerate the wort afterwards (which is standard practice to keep the yeast healthy after pitching). So what would be the point of keeping oxygen levels low before that?
Perhaps German brewers keep oxygen low to reduce risk of contamination? Have you googled hotside and deoxygenation?

CeesM

Citaat van: wernerthefox op 28-02-2020  07:47 uInteresting thought. Boiling would be a way to reduce oxygen. But I wonder are you going to aerate the wort afterwards (which is standard practice to keep the yeast healthy after pitching). So what would be the point of keeping oxygen levels low before that?
Perhaps German brewers keep oxygen low to reduce risk of contamination? Have you googled hotside and deoxygenation?
He's talking about boiling the water before masching. To reduce oxygen in the mash. Off course he have to aerate the wort after boiling the wort before fermenting.

Rinus

Before mashing i am boiling my water always for at least 10 minutes. Sparge water too of course. I've never added any oxygen (even don't own the tools for that).
My yeast never complained :-) and i'm very pleased with my results.

CeesM

It seems boiling water and cool it down makes no sence. You make the same results with heating to masch temperature.
CiteerThe only reason that oxygen is removed in the distillation process is that the amount of oxygen gas dissolved in water is a function of the temperature of the water. The higher the temperature, the lower the amount of dissolved oxygen. So, during the distillation process, the gas is partially removed, but when the water cools down, since it is still in the presence of oxygen, the oxygen goes back into the water.

So, during mashingprocess, the temperature incresing and the oxigen gas decresing. No need to aerate the wort after cooling.

Swedishbrewer

"Let's walk through some of the procedural bits. A dissolved oxygen (DO) saturation point of 1.0 ppm, or ideally 0.5 ppm seems dramatically low. Tap water is typically 7-8 ppm DO out of the faucet, and water out of my reverse osmosis system is about 4-5 ppm, measured with an oxygen meter. Heating water to mash temps will reduce oxygen saturation to about 4-5 ppm where boiling for 5-10 minutes can bring DO well below 0.5 ppm. The LODO method requires pre-boiling all of the liquor to deplete oxygen, and chilling rapidly to mash temperatures, along with very gentle handling to avoid splashing or aeration. Water sitting at mash temps has the potential of absorbing 1-2 ppm oxygen per hour."

So its not unnecessarily to boil the mashwater first. Because the water does not absorb oxygen so fast.

Tags:

Zoeken met Google op deze site.
Brouwspullen zijn ook te koop via Bol.com.
Als je iets bestelt bij Bol.com (ook andere zaken dan brouwspullen) via deze link steun je het forum.

Het boek van de beheerder van deze site.