Need some advice

Gestart door eldustino, 16-09-2018 21:23 u

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

eldustino

Hi all!

I need some advise and am hoping you all can help.

I have been home brewing for just a under a year now, learning as I go and upgrading the gear when $ is available  ;D
I found a recipe for a British Brown Ale and after tweaking slightly I thought I would brew a 10L batch.

See below grain bill.

My problem is that the FG was supposed to hit 1014 and it stalled at 1020 after lettting set for 2 weeks.  I haven't had this problem yet on any other beer (maybe a point, but not 6 points).

I fermented more or less at 20C for the entire time.  (in the pantry of my house, not in a fridge).

I "THINK" the issue is that I didn't get enough fermentable sugars while mashing.  I am using a HERMS system and recirculating during the mash process.
If I were going to do a 2nd batch, should I:
  • Drop the temp to say 63C?
  • Mash longer at 67C?
  • Do a 2 step mash, say 62C for 30min and 67C for 30min?

Your thoughts? Other suggestions?
please feel free to answer in Dutch!

PS: the color of my beer is not as dark as it should have been due to the fact I ran out of 900MD (I am aware of this!)   ;D

OG 1049
Expected FG 1014

Mash Volume = 11L
Sparge Volume = 6L
Preboil Volume = 13L
Primary Volume = 9.25L
Bottle Volume = 8L (lost alot sampling the beer   :P)

Mash temp 67 / 60 min
Mash out 78 / 5min

Yeast nutrients: none

1.8KG Dingemans Pale Ale
200g Fawcettt Cystal Malt
47g Dingemans 900MD Chocolate (I ran out so used what was left!)
200g Weyermann Carapils

Boil 60min
10g Challenger @ 60 min
10g EKG @ 20 min.

Yeast : White Labs WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt Ale yeast (expiration date was good)

hansHalberstadt

Looks not very strange 1014 is what you could normally expect with som dark malts. could be mashing but also not enough active yeast. for masing you could try: 2 step mash,  63C for 30-45min and 72C for 45min. Also during 72 still fermentable sugar is formed from dextrines, so taking that stap some longer could help.

Niels B.

I'd suggest a thicker mash for your next batch of this beer.
You are now using 2.25 kg of grain on 11 litres of water, or 4.8 L/kg.
Try lowering this to around 3L/kg. Make up for the lesser amount of water by increasing your sparge volume.

With thinner mashes, the Beta-Amylase will degrade quicker, so it will cut less short-chained sugars. Hence, you could end up with a higher final gravity.

eldustino

Thanks both. I had yet another beer do the same thing and I have come to the conclusion it's a combination of both. I will be going back to a two-step mash and will keep an eye on my water to grain ratio (I didn't realize it had such an impact).

Upwards and onwards!

PS: do either of you stir during the mash?  Some say do, some say don't. I notice my mash effeciency goes up if I stir.

hansHalberstadt

No problem to stir during the mash. That gives better contact between starch en enzymes.

KC

Did you make a yeast starter?

CeesM

Citaat van: KC op 29-11-2018  19:25 uDid you make a yeast starter?
No need to make a yeaststarter with an OG of 1.049 on a volume of 9.25 liters.

Tags:

Zoeken met Google op deze site.
Brouwspullen zijn ook te koop via Bol.com.
Als je iets bestelt bij Bol.com (ook andere zaken dan brouwspullen) via deze link steun je het forum.

Het boek van de beheerder van deze site.