Hi...

What do you say abaut;
http://www.chaletgruyere.be/suikersiroop/
?

can I make good beers with this suiker?

:proost: :degroeten:
Wamser

korek

I think you make better candy syrup the hot way because it then contains more sugar and when you brew you can add the same amount like normal sugar. You can make good beers with this!

George81

This is just concentrated sugar. I recommend the normal sugar, it's easier.

Wamser

Citaat van: korek op 28-10-2010  06:49 uI think you make better candy syrup the hot way because it then contains more sugar and when you brew you can add the same amount like normal sugar. You can make good beers with this!

I read an article that says; "candy sugar of the monks is baked
with beet sugar, they don't use sugar of cane..."

is correct?

MM

Citaat van: Wamser op 19-01-2012  16:47 uI read an article that says; "candy sugar of the monks is baked
with beet sugar, they don't use sugar of cane..."

is correct?

I think the sugar they use is refined sugar (the cheapest form sugar). In Holland refined sugar is produced from beets aswell as canes. Don't bother too much finding the right form of sugar.

Wamser

Citaat van: MM op 21-01-2012  17:22 uI think the sugar they use is refined sugar (the cheapest form sugar). In Holland refined sugar is produced from beets aswell as canes. Don't bother too much finding the right form of sugar.

How make candy sugar like a monk?

I use this recipe;
http://hw.libsyn.com/p/c/9/6/c96b0201c76bf8dd/sugarguidelines.pdf?sid=21367508000a4b792b87d7f0454d78f4&l_sid=18257&l_eid=&l_mid=1511256&expiration=1327178762&hwt=9b4e0d8dde61c0069c84172dfcaa3881

but i don't believe be the same recipe of the abbey...

some video;

:degroeten:

MM

I am not sure if the monks still making their own candy sugar, because in Belgium and Holland you can easily buy it in the supermarket.

This source mentions that the most Trappist Breweries are using granulated sugar instead of candy sugar.

RobinB

There is (in my opinion) only one reason for making candisyrup: the aroma of the caramelized sugar.
White candi does not add anything. If you have white, refined cane sugar, that should also be the same as white, refined beet sugar.
Only the brownish cane sugar has a typical flavor.

So if you want to make dark candi sugar, just follow the videos.
You can also let the syrup crystallize and grind to make dark sugar.
I'd just make and use the syrup at the moment of brewing. You can make the syrup during wortboiling and add to the wort at when it's ready.

George81

Citaat van: George81 op 19-01-2012  15:53 uThis is just concentrated sugar. I recommend the normal sugar, it's easier.
I have to come back from this comment, candi syrup really adds flavour, i think even the white syrup does something, it just tastes different.
I just made 2 batches of it, the first brew i used in is fermenting now.

RobinB

Perhaps it is easier for you George to search for Dutch topics on this. There have been multiple discussions on this topic. There is no chemical reason to assume any difference between white refined candi sugar and white refined beet sugar (Dutch: kristalsuiker).

It is the same for colorless syrups with no signs of caramellisation.

When you dó have caramellisation; this:
Citaat van: RobinB op 22-01-2012  12:53 uThere is (in my opinion) only one reason for making candisyrup: the aroma of the caramelized sugar.
White candi does not add anything. If you have white, refined cane sugar, that should also be the same as white, refined beet sugar.
Only the brownish cane sugar has a typical flavor.

So if you want to make dark candi sugar, just follow the videos.
You can also let the syrup crystallize and grind to make dark sugar.
I'd just make and use the syrup at the moment of brewing. You can make the syrup during wortboiling and add to the wort at when it's ready.
Still applies... :)

Tags:

Zoeken met Google op deze site.
Brouwspullen zijn ook te koop via Bol.com.
Als je iets bestelt bij Bol.com (ook andere zaken dan brouwspullen) via deze link steun je het forum.

Het boek van de beheerder van deze site.