Delta-gisten (Where to find?)

Gestart door Wamser, 22-04-2010 16:22 u

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

Wamser

Dear friends...

I was reading some messagens of forum and found recipes with yeast Delta X, Delta V. ..
what is this yeast? have somewhere to buy, manual ...? :weetniet:

what type beer I can make? Someone can send to me this yeast? :weetniet: ;)

Thank's, Wamser :degroeten:

Jacques

Sorry Warmer. The Delta yeasts are no longer available.

Hopmans

Isn't it Fermentis nowadays?

Wamser

Citaat van: Jacques op 22-04-2010  16:56 uSorry Warmer. The Delta yeasts are no longer available.
:huilen:

Wamser

Citaat van: Hopmans op 22-04-2010  17:40 uIsn't it Fermentis nowadays?
I dont know... :weetniet:

Jacques

Citaat van: Hopmans op 22-04-2010  17:40 uIsn't it Fermentis nowadays?

No. This was yeast propagated by a Dutch guy (Sander Maasen).

Wamser

Citaat van: Jacques op 22-04-2010  19:29 uNo. This was yeast propagated by a Dutch guy (Sander Maassen).
Is there a substitute?

Oscar

Citaat van: Wamser op 22-04-2010  20:13 uIs there a substitute?

Why ? If in a recipe a certain yeast is used, you kan easily use another yeast. A good recipe wil not yet make a good beer...It takes a lot more than just a good recipe to make good beer... :brouwen:

Jacques

Citaat van: Wamser op 22-04-2010  20:13 uIs there a substitute?

Yes, the Wyeast yeast collection.

hansHalberstadt

To explain a bit more:
The delta yeasts were indead selected and propagated by Sander Maassen when he was member of Triple-W (home brewing club) in Nijmegen at the period around 1995. I was also member of Triple-W at that time. (I still am at this moment). We had a lot of recipes published with these delta yeasts. It started with the delta-X yeast that was indead a very good one with high fermentation grade and neutral taste, however a disadvantage was that it produced a lot of foam that came outside the fermenting vessel. At this moment I have all these yeasts still on agar tubes, (delta x,v,t,p,e,w,m) however I believe that other yeasts are at least as good. By the way deltaM is the "wiekse witte gist"
One thing I really want to know is where the deltaX yeast comes from, but Sander never wanted to tell.
HansH      

RobinB

Hey Hans!
That is very interesting!

I'd be interested in samples from these strains, just at least to add them to my freeze stocks?
It would be a pity if these strains get lost...

hansHalberstadt

In some special cases I can provide this, but as you probably understand, it would take a lot of time to do this on a regular basis. Please sent me a personal message if you are really interested.
HansH

Hopmans

Citaat van: hansHalberstadt op 22-04-2010  22:42 uOne thing I really want to know is where the deltaX yeast comes from, but Sander never wanted to tell.
Can't we torture him?
 :denken:

Adrie

Citaat van: hansHalberstadt op 22-04-2010  22:42 uIt started with the delta-X yeast that was indead a very good one with high fermentation grade and neutral taste, however a disadvantage was that it produced a lot of foam that came outside the fermenting vessel.

I bet it's the Uerige strain (Wyeast 1007).

CiteerTrue top cropping yeast, low ester formation, broad temperature range affects styles. Cold fermentation will produce lager characteristics including sulfur production. Fermentation at higher temperatures may produce some mild fruitiness. Generally, yeast remains significantly in suspension. Beers mature rapidly, even when cold fermentation is used. Low or no detectable diacetyl.

hansHalberstadt

Citaat van: Adrie op 23-04-2010  10:33 uI bet it's the Uerige strain (Wyeast 1007).

We can find out if someone is able to make a DNA profile of both? I assume we have some people here that are able to do this.
Although it is a yeast with a rather neutral taste there is a special taste and flafour component especially when making a beer with a somewhat higher alcohol. Everyone who brewed with deltaX will recognize this.  
HansH.

Wamser

Citaat van: hansHalberstadt op 24-04-2010  05:30 uwe can find out if someone is able to make a DNA profile of both? I assume we have some people here that are able to do this.
Although it is a yeast with a rather neutral taste there is a special taste and flafour component especially when making a beer with a somewhat higher alcohol. Everyone who brewed with deltaX will recognize this.  
HansH.

Can You send to Brazil this DNA??? :proost: :nut: :degroeten:

hansHalberstadt

In the meantime I found an overview in the 'Triple-W jaarboek' about the delta yeasts (propagated by Sander Maassen around 1995):

Delta X: light topfemented beers (not aromatic) Kolsch, alt
Delta E: slightly aromatic, Ales
DeltaV: heavy beers (slightly aromatic) Triples and doubles
DeltaT: High alcoholic, aromatic, dry beers
DeltaW: heavy beers (aromatic) Triples and trappist
DeltaM: Belgian white beers (Wiekse witte yeast propagated by Marcel Straetemans)
DeltaO: bottom fermented beers

DeltaP: bottom fermented beers  (taken from tsjechie from  pilsener brewery by Angelo Tielen)

HansH 

RobinB

Very nice Hans!
Could you also give recommandations of Wyeast substitutes on basis of these descriptions and your experience with these yeasts?

hansHalberstadt

Citaat van: RobinB op 28-04-2010  22:46 uCould you also give recomandations of Wyeast substitutes on basis of these descriptions and your experience with these yeasts?
For substitutes I really have no idea. I have experience with delta X and delta M. and I think I also brewed once with delta E and delta T but I don't know the results anymore. At least dalta X is a yeast that gives a very neutral taste for not too strong beers. For strong beers the taste was sometimes describes as 'soapy'. In the beginning of Triple-W history there was only delta X so we brewed all beers with it. One disadvantage was the very dense foam during fermentation and the floating yeast cells at the top. Delta M gives a really nice 'witbier' I assume there are some Triple-W members that have experience with these yeasts and also read this forum.
HansH

Herman

I brewed some beers with these yeast, while being a member of beerclub 't Wort Wat. These yeasts were probably as good as the ones you can buy from Fermentis. I thought it was a pity when these yeasts ceased to exist.

hansHalberstadt

Citaat van: Adrie op 23-04-2010  10:33 uI bet it's the Uerige strain (Wyeast 1007).
Kwam dit toevallig weer tegen.
Adrie, hoe weet je dit zo zeker?
HansH

hansHalberstadt

Mocht iemand die in de buurt van Groesbeek woont met  de WY1007 gebrouwen hebben dan houd ik me aanbevolen voor een klein monstertje waarmee ik dan kan vergelijken met de Delta X gist. (Zonde om voor zo'n proefje een heel smackpack te kopen) evt ruilen tegen Delta X gist.

hansHalberstadt

Op dit moment ben ik de WY 1007 aan het opkweken en ga een proef doen met gesplitste wort. Ene helft aanenten met WY1007 en de andere helft met delta X. Dan resultaat laten proeven op onze gildeavond (of zoom variant daarvan) om te zien of de WY1007 inderdaad dezelfde kenmerkende smaakeigenschappen heeft als delta X. Dan weten we hopelijk of de Delta X gist inderdaad zo uniek is. De Delta X gist is ooit geïsoleerd en geïntroduceerd door Sander Maassen, toenmalig voorzitter van triple-W, maar hij heeft nooit willen vertellen hoe hij aan die gist kwam.

Jacques

Citaat van: hansHalberstadt op 25-07-2020  11:03 uDe Delta X gist is ooit geïsoleerd en geïntroduceerd door Sander Maassen, toenmalig voorzitter van triple-W, maar hij heeft nooit willen vertellen hoe hij aan die gist kwam.

Sander heeft van zijn hobby zijn werk gemaakt. Hij is actief bij een grote Nederlandse brouwerij.

CeesM

Citaat van: Jacques op 25-07-2020  17:14 uSander heeft van zijn hobby zijn werk gemaakt. Hij is actief bij een grote Nederlandse brouwerij.
Nou, dan zal hij zeker niet vertellen dat hij toendertijd een pakje WY1007 had gekocht. ;)

Sorry, English language subtopic.

Now he would surely never tell that he bought a pocket WY1007 at the past. ;)

Tags:

Zoeken met Google op deze site.
Brouwspullen zijn ook te koop via Bol.com.
Als je iets bestelt bij Bol.com (ook andere zaken dan brouwspullen) via deze link steun je het forum.

Het boek van de beheerder van deze site.